Higher Certificate in Computer Networks & Systems Management
Course Code: LC331
Become an expert in securing a network to prevent hackers from gaining access to vital information, such as: personal information, bank records, army intelligence.
Ensure network applications in the Cloud run smoothly on wireless and wired networks. Everyday examples include: Netflix, Gmail, Facebook
Work with network equipment, routers and switches, to ensure information (emails, photos, documents, banking information) can be transferred from one machine to another.
Learn how to build, maintain and secure enterprise networks (e.g. Windows, Linux, virtual machines, Cisco, HP and Dell).
Build networks using technology and equipment, such as: hubs, switches, routers, servers, firewalls, protocols, fibre optic cables, copper wire etc.
What are the entry requirements?
Applicants must have 5 O6/H7 grades or higher at Ordinary Level in 5 Leaving Certificate subjects. Two of these subjects must include Mathematics and a Language (English or Irish).
Applicants presenting QQI FET/FETAC qualifications must hold a Full Level 5 Award totalling 120 Credits.
Applicants presenting qualifications other than those mentioned above will be assessed on an individual basis.
Mature Applicants (i.e. over 23) are exempt from the normal entry requirements.
Who can I contact?
What modules will I study?
- Introduction to Programming
- Data Essentials
- ICT & Applications
- Introduction to computer Networks
- Computer Organisation and Architecture
- Computer Mathematics
- Mathematical Methods
- Structured Programming
- Digital Systems Concepts
- Communications & Applications
- Understanding LANs
- Operating Systems Fundamentals
- Statistical Data Analysis
- Web Development Fundamentals
- Growing the LAN
- Operating Systems Structures
- Digital Systems Design
- IT Customer Service
Are there opportunities for further study?
Graduates of this programme will have the opportunity to progress on to a level 7 or level 8 degree programme.
What are the career prospects?
Potential jobs include:
- Network Administrator/Technician
- Network Architect
- Computer Network Engineer
- Network Programmer/Analyst
- Information Systems Manager
- Network Security Expert
This programme is suited to people who are creative, analytical and logical and who are interested in computers and like solving real life problems.
Creative and innovative minded people will be challenged in this programme to express their ideas and develop ground-breaking new technologies.
Did you know?
- IT graduates are among the most sought after and highly paid graduates in the world.
- The technology sector is facing a severe skills shortage and the education system is not able to produce enough graduates to meet demand.
- The biggest trend in the last four years has been the growth of the IT sector worldwide.