Status: Opening Soon
Art & Design
Flexible & Professional
This programme has been created for those interested in learning how to use a domestic sewing machine and those who would like to build on their existing knowledge. While on the course you will develop an understanding of the sewing and construction of a skirt. Through demonstrations, practical exercises and one-to-one support.
You will also learn a range of sewing techniques such as seams top stitch, hand stitching and the insertion of lapped zip, invisible zip and professionally finishing on a garment.
On completion of the course students will be able to:
- Confidently use a domestic sewing machine
- Apply basic sewing skills
- Develop an understanding of basic blocks and relevant information
- Select appropriate materials and trims
- Cut commercial patterns
- Construct a skirt pattern using an appropriate finish
- Understand the terminology used within the fashion industry
What modules will I study?
This course will introduce students to:
- Setting up and sewing, using a domestic sewing machine
- Working with blocks to create basic skirt toiles
- Support with selecting the appropriate materials
- Laying and cutting fabric using a commercial pattern
- Reading and Sewing a commercial pattern (skirt pattern)
10 weeks, 2 hours per week.
Monday evenings from 7.00pm to 9.00pm.
The next proposed start date is Monday 21st September 2020.
Continuous evaluation will take place with final evaluation on completion of programme
A Certificate of Completion will be issued to eligible participants
11th September 2020 (Space permitting)
For queries relating to the course content
Contact: Alan Kelly