The President and Vice President for Research, Development and Innovation, in conjunction with the Faculties of Applied Science Engineering and Technology, Business & Humanities and the Limerick School of Art and Design, are opening a call for proposals for the LIT Postgraduate Research Bursary Awards to start in the Academic Year 2020/2021.
Applications are invited from interested candidates who have identified an innovative research topic they wish to pursue that has potential to lead to the award of a Masters or PhD. All applications must clearly demonstrate the aims, objectives, research question(s) and potential impacts of the proposed research. Applicants must have the prior agreement of an LIT staff member to act as their Principal Research Supervisor.
Support will be prioritised towards the generation of new knowledge and the potential for impact generation in the community/economy.
Postgraduate Research Bursary Award:
- Financial support for fees and monthly stipend toward the completion of a Masters / PhD by Research
- Research Skills Training and access to experienced Research Supervisors in LIT
- Opportunities to engage with LIT Research Centres and National and International Research Partners
- Masters Stipend: A stipend of €500 per month up to a maximum of 2 years (24 months) for full-time research postgraduate students on a Masters Research Degree Programme.
- Fees: Candidates will be required to apply for fee supports through the SUSI grant system. Where SUSI grant support is not available, the Institute will award the fees for two academic years, up to a maximum of €5,200 per annum. (Note: The award does not cover the fees for Non-EU Candidates).
- Where alternative funding (MSCA, IRC, etc) becomes available, that funding will be used to cover the fees/stipend.
- A project budget for additional items up to a maximum of €1,600 may also be available where justified.
- The Award is contingent on the successful registration of the candidates Research Degree Programme in Academic Year 2020/2021. (RDP Submission Deadline: Friday 15th January 2021).
- The continued award of the stipend is contingent on the candidate’s progress through their research project and their availability to support teaching delivery (up to two hours per week) in consultation with their supervisor and Head of Department.
Transfer to PhD
Registration on a PhD research degree programme in LIT is normally done through initial registration on a Masters by research and subsequent transfer to PhD after 18 months (minimum 12 months) in line with the Institute’s regulations. Subject to meeting the transfer requirements, candidates are required to submit an application for an additional year’s funding, including fees up to €5,200 and an enhanced stipend (€1,000 per month for 12 months). Subject to the envisaged funding stream being available.
Please complete and return the relevant application form to the Graduate Studies and Research Office by email to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Wednesday, 2nd December 2020 at 5:00pm.