Applied Computer Networks (L9, 30 ECTS)
Status: Register Interest
Flexible & Professional
This programme is a targeted response to a clearly identified need in specific occupations and sectors of the economy in relation to applied computer networks with the objectives of:
- Providing education to a level of best international practice in computer networks, that will enable participating companies to gain competitive advantage through the application of the basic and advanced computer networks principles and to drive improvement and to be able to demonstrate measurable results.
- Delivering the programme through blended education, participants will be able to access it remotely, on-site or by conventional means. Access is therefore greatly improved, and the interruption to a participant’s work is minimised.
- The programme will bring together lecture material on best practice computer networks techniques, tools and implementation practices (both national and international), recognised methodologies and skills, and processes to enable participants to excel in their careers while encouraging life-long learning.
What are the entry requirements?
ACADEMIC ENTRY REQUIREMENTS:
A minimum PASS honours bachelor degree (Level 8) in a cognate discipline or
A minimum PASS honours bachelor degree (Level 8) in a non-cognate discipline with considerable experience and/or ability evidenced by an RPL portfolio of prior experience and learning or
Equivalent Qualifications. Applicants with equivalent qualifications on the European and International frameworks will also be considered.
ENGLISH LANGUAGE: Applicants who do not have English as their first language must ensure they satisfy English Language requirements. For entry to undergraduate courses, a minimum score of 5.5 in an IELTS exam is required. For postgraduate courses, a minimum of 6.0 is required. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure their English proficiency meets these requirements.
Who can I contact?
Flexible Learning Team
What modules will I study?
1 Network Design (10 ECTS)
2 Data Centre Design& Networking (10 ECTS)
3 Private Cloud & Software Defined Networking (10 ECTS)
Embedded Professional Certification
(a) VMware Data Centre Virtualisation (VCA)
(b) VMware Data Centre Virtualisation (VCP)
(a) Certified Data Centre Professional
(b) Certified Data Centre Specialist
What are the career prospects?
- IT Manager
- Information Systems
- Network Manager
- Data Centre Designer
- Network Administrator
- Systems Administrator
- Computer Network Engineer
- Network Analyst
TBC for 2022
2 X 15 week Semesters. 2 classes per week on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 4pm to 6pm.
Semester 1 Schedule is as follows:
Tuesday 4pm to 6pm - Network Design. This module will have also have a pre-recoded lecture each week that students will have to view prior to the Tuesday class session, and will also involve online labs/workshops which will be agreed with the students in advance.
Thursday 4pm to 6pm - Data Centre Design & Networking
Classes will be delivered primarily online with some face to face workshops required to cover certain module content.
What will the time commitment be?
Each 5 credits will normally equate to approximately 100 Total Learning Hours. Total Learning Hours includes the time you spend in class (lectures tutorials, practical elements) and the time you spend completing work outside of college. The balance between these two varies by discipline, and by level of study. You should bear in mind that the workload will increase at particular times e.g. when assisgnments are due.
100% Continuous Assessment
Certificate in Applied Computer Networks (Special Purpose Award Level 9, 30 Credits)
TBC for 2022
For queries relating to the course content
The total fee for this programme is €3,300.
All applicants must complete the online application form and upload the below supporting documents.
To complete your application process you must include the following with your application.
1. Current CV
2. Proof of existing educational qualifications