Certificate in Addiction Studies
Applied Social Sciences
Flexible & Professional
The aim of this programme is to provide an introduction to the topic of addiction to participants and to enable them to make an initial low-level intervention with an individual displaying addiction-related behaviour. The programme is particularly aimed at those who may encounter such behaviour in their personal or working lives.
On successful completion of this programme participants will be able to:
- Recognise addiction-associated behaviour in a work or personal setting
- Identify the proximate cause of the addiction-associated behaviour
- Compile appropriate behaviour-related information
- Make an initial intervention with the individual displaying such behaviour
- Assist the individual displaying the addiction-related behaviour to seek professional help and be able to outline the nature of the help available
What are the entry requirements?
Applicants must be 18 years or older and must demonstrate an interest in the field of Addiction Studies. Applicants will be offered a place on the programme on the basis of a written application.
ENGLISH LANGUAGE: Applicants who do not have English as their first language must ensure they satisfy English Language requirements. For entry to undergraduate courses, a minimum score of 5.5 in an IELTS exam is required. For postgraduate courses, a minimum of 6.0 is required. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure their English proficiency meets these requirements.
What modules will I study?
- Drug & Alcohol Education
- Crisis Intervention & Detox
- Harm reduction Policy
- Ethics & Self Awareness
- Effects of Addiction on Individual, Family & Community
- 4 Tier Model
- Screening & Assessment
- Treatment Options & Approaches
This certificate programme is delivered part time over 8 Friday/Saturday sessions. Attendance comprises of 3 hours on Fridays from 6pm to 9pm and 6 hours on Saturdays from 10am to 4pm.
The proposed commencement date is Friday 29th January 2021
This programme is assessed through a range of continuous assessments.
Certificate in Addiction Studies, Special Purpose Award (Level 6, 10 Credits).
22nd January 2021
For queries relating to the course content
Contact: Neal Whelan