Certificate in Culinary Skills
Sport, Leisure & Tourism
Flexible & Professional
The Certificate in Culinary Skills is designed to provide students with the opportunity to achieve a level 6 minor award in one year, through a combination of college-based learning and structured work-based learning. The primary focus of the programme is to prepare graduates for a variety of roles in food preparation in food retail outlets including delicatessens, gastro pubs, catering outlets hotels and restaurants.
What are the entry requirements?
1. Leaving Certificate with 5 passes.
2. Recognised Prior Learning (RPL) / Special Case Registrations: Prospective participants who do not meet the entry requirements for the programme detailed above may qualify for admission by meeting certain other equivalent criteria.
Please submit your application online and then email Springboard@lit.ie to request RPL consideration.
What modules will I study?
The modules are designed to cover the skills required in professional practice to ensure that the learner can cope with the fast-paced environment of a commercial kitchen at a junior or trainee level. Learners will also acquire key transferable skills in HACCP and manual handling which is a desired requirement of the employer.
On successful completion of this prog. learners will have the ability to:
1. Describe the organisation, marketing, costing & control elements of running a professional kitchen
2. Apply scientific principles, technologies & systems to operating a professional kitchen
3. Manage the implementation of food control, food cost, portion & quality control in a professional kitchen
1. Demonstrate a wide range of precision technical culinary skills to produce a variety of classical & contemporary dishes
2. Apply & adapt nutritional knowledge to creative food production & menu planning
3. Analyse appropriate styles of food & beverage service
1. Explain the role of gastronomy in the development of culinary arts
2. Operate computer software & systems relevant to the culinary arts
3. Evaluate a range of knowledge, skills & competence to design, organise, serve & evaluate a meal experience
4. Apply relevant provisions of legislation & regulation relevant to the hospitality business, including health & safety at work legislation, food safety legislation & the principles of Hazard Analysis & Critical Control Points (HACCP)
5. Identify key academic & independent learning skills appropriate to the hospitality industry.
This programme will be delivered in LIT Limerick - 2 full days per week.
The fee foprogramme is 100% Springboard funded for all successful applicants. Please note that students will be required to purchase professional chef knives and uniform. This will be organised by the Programme Leader.
For full information on this programme please click the following link https://springboardcourses.ie/details/8184