Embedded Systems (Manufacturing Technology Module)
Status: Register Your Interest
Electrical & Electronic Engineering
Flexible & Professional
To provide the learner with a broad knowledge of embedded computer system including processors, hardware systems, operating system, single board computer, development environments and programming.
Having successfully completed this module, the learner will be able to:
1. Identify the main computer components and explain the functions and characteristics of each including interfaces and interconnections in accordance with relevant safety standards
2. Analyse the specification sheets of embedded computer system, including single board computers, processor operations, peripherals and onboard resources.
3. Understand basic computer function from first principles
4. Demonstrate competency in a suitable programming language for embedded computing including a development environment
5. Analyse and compare the operation of processor peripheral devices such as general input output, timers, and counters.
6. Understand the operation of sub modules such as GPS, accelerometers and GSM including the modes of communications used to interconnect them
What are the entry requirements?
There are no formal entry requirements for participants wishing to take this module as a single subject, however these are not introductory level modules and some familiarity with the area as well as a level of independent study would be expected for exam success. Participants taking this module as part of the Bachelor of Engineering in Manufacturing Technology or the Bachelor of Engineering in Electrical Technology must meet the entry requirements outlined on the relevant course pages.
ENGLISH LANGUAGE: Applicants who do not have English as their first language must ensure they satisfy English Language requirements. For entry to undergraduate courses, a minimum score of 5.5 in an IELTS exam is required. For postgraduate courses, a minimum of 6.0 is required. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure their English proficiency meets these requirements.
What modules will I study?
- PC Systems: Critical components, computer usage, workloads, chokepoints, environmental aspects.
- Operating Systems: Processor support, kernels, upgrades, Open source operating systems.
- Processors: Specifications, speed ratings, internal configuration.
- System Boards: Raspberry pi, or other suitable single board computer operations and configuration.
- Programming: A suitable programming language such as C, PHP or Python including data structures and variables.
12 weeks, 3 hours per week from 7.00pm to 10.00pm
This programme may be offered again in the 2022-2023 academic year. This will be confirmed in early Summer 2022
Please note that you are required to have access to a desktop PC or Laptop to participate in modules which are running in an online delivery format.
What will the time committment be?
Each 5 credits will normally equate to approximately 100 Total Learning Hours. Total Learning Hours includes the time you spend in class (lectures, tutorials, practical elements) and the time you spend completing work outside of college. The balance between these two varies by discipline, and by level of study. You should bear in mind that the workload will increase at particular times e.g. when assignments are due.
Each taught module has a programme of continuous assessment worth 50% and a final exam worth 50%. It is necessary to pass both elements to achieve an award in the module.
Participants not registered on the Degree may request an LIT Subject Certificate (Level 7, 5 Credits) on successful completion of the module. Students registered for the Degree will receive ECTS credits for each group of modules successfully completed. Accumulation of 60 credits will lead to the Degree Award.
NOTE: This module may be completed as a stand-alone course, or it may be completed by eligible participants for credit towards the award of Bachelor of Engineering in Manufacturing Technology (Level 7) or Bachelor of Engineering in Electrical Technology (Level 7).