BSc in Computing
Course Code: LC336
Undergraduate - CAO
This three year programme prepares students for a broad range of exciting careers in the computing sector. It provides students with an opportunity to work with evolving technologies in a fast moving industry. Students will develop essential skills in computing which will open many career paths and options for further study. During the programme, students will learn how to design and build desktop and mobile apps, troubleshoot and fix computer hardware, use computers to work with and manage data, connect devices and make them work together.
Technology is used in all aspects of industry, retail and financial sectors. Whether you want to work in a large multinational company, a small indigenous Irish company or an innovative start-up, computing graduates are much sought after. The technology sector in Ireland is a vibrant one providing many opportunities for graduates. Companies such as Twitter, Facebook, eBay, PayPal and Google have chosen to locate in Ireland providing jobs across a wide variety of computing areas.
What are the entry requirements?
A minimum of 5 O6/H7 grades in Leaving Certificate subjects, including Mathematics and English or Irish.
Mature student (i.e. 23 years of age on 1st January for admission in September) applicants must apply through the CAO on or before 1st February.
Non-EU applicants should apply directly to the International Office at LIT allowing plenty of time for completing the visa process. Applications for September start should be made by July 1st at the latest.
What modules will I study?
- Interpersonal Skills
- Web Development Fundamentals
- Computer Organisation & Architecture
- Computer Mathematics
- Data Essentials
- Introduction to Programming
- Mathematical Methods
- Operating Systems Fundamentals
- Structured Programming
- Structured Query Language Essentials
- Responsive Design and Web Development
- Introduction to Object Oriented Programming
- Object Oriented Theory and Programming
- Software Development
- Discrete Mathematics
- Fundamentals of Data Structures and Algorithms
- Networking Fundamentals
- Data Design and Programming
- Application Development
- Data Driven Systems
- Problem solving with Data Structures and Algorithms
- Software Testing
- Real Time Embedded Systems
- Mobile Application Design & Development
- Statistics, Algorithms & Artificial Intelligence
- Software Security
- Project & Group Dynamics
- Work Placement
Are there opportunities for further study?
Graduates can pursue further third level education including level 8 courses in computing and technology.
What are the career prospects?
Graduates work in the following postions:
- Software Engineer
- App/Games/Computer Programmer
- Computer Systems Architect
- Database Administrator
- Software Test & Quality Engineer