Higher Certificate in Games Design & Development
Course Code: LC441
This programme is designed to produce graduates with an in-depth knowledge of the essential aspects of games design and development. Students will learn the techniques for analysis, design and development of games for diverse platforms including mobile, handheld consoles, personal and tablet computers, games consoles and online games in a variety of computer programming languages.
Students will produce game designs and implement these through a variety of game engines and frameworks using state of the art technology and specialised hardware. Our hardware facilities include Ireland’s largest Xbox Game laboratory and access to Playstation development kits.
LIT is licenced for leading multi-platform game engines to enhance your learning experience. LIT Thurles, a Digital Games Hub, is the home of Games Fleadh, one of Ireland’s most important games programming festivals.
LIT Thurles alumni have worked on AAA titles such as StarCraft, Wolfenstien, Guitar Hero and Call of Duty. Our campus enterprise centre facilitates and is host to game studios start-ups who are actively supported by Thurles Chamber Enterprise Centre business mentors.
What are the entry requirements?
Applicants must have 5 O6/H7 grades or higher at Ordinary Level in 5 Leaving Certificate subjects. Two of these subjects must include Mathematics and a Language (English or Irish).
Applicants presenting QQI FET/FETAC qualifications must hold a Full Level 5 Award totalling 120 Credits.
Applicants presenting qualifications other than those mentioned above will be assessed on an individual basis.
Mature Applicants (i.e. over 23) are exempt from the normal entry requirements.
What modules will I study?
- Interpersonal Skills
- Web Development Fundamentals
- Computer Organisation and Architecture
- Computer Mathematics
- Data Essentials
- Introduction to Programming
- Mathematical Methods
- Operating Systems Fundamentals
- Structured Programming
- Structured Query Language Essentials
- Responsive Design and Web Development
- Introduction to Object Oriented Programming
- Object Oriented Theory and Programming
- Software Development
- Discrete Mathematics
- Fundamentals of Data Structures and Algorithms
- Networking Fundamentals
- Data Design and Programming
Are there opportunities for further study?
Gaduates of this programme will be able to progress to a level 7 or level 8 programme.
What are the career prospects?
Graduates will be suitable for employment in a wide range of positions including:
- Games Programmer
- Game Tester
- Game Designer
- Games Middleware Engine Developer
- Games Developer Tools Designer
- Graphics and in Audio Software Production
This programme is suited to people who are creative, analytical and logical and who are interested in computers and are passionate about game development. Creative and innovative minded people will be challenged in this programme to express their ideas and develop ground-breaking new game technologies.
This course is for designers who are:
- Creative through reading lots or books from a variety of genres
- Good at mathematics and programming
- Play computer and board games
- Independent thinkers
- Experimental, particular and persistent
- Good with people: especially international teams
This programme will suit people who enjoy:
- Games and Puzzles
- Deconstructing and making things
- Problem solving
- Working in teams