Duration: 30 months (June 2019 – December 2021)
LIT Project Budget: €258,800
Total Project Budget: €2,165,000
SPEEDIER is a highly innovative one-stop-shop solution that applies an integrated approach to energy management providing information, advice, capacity building, energy auditing, financing, implementation of energy efficiency solutions and monitoring of impacts.
This integrated approach is also advocated by the International Energy Agency in their 2015 report ‘Accelerating Energy Efficiency in Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises’.
A key innovation, upon which the SPEEDIER service is founded, is the self-financing mechanism. This novel funding mechanism works by implementing simple no-cost actions first (e.g. raising energy awareness of staff or switching to a cheaper energy supplier), ring fencing the savings from these actions and using them to pay for low, medium or high cost energy efficiency measures and the continued services of the SPEEDIER Expert.
The iterative cycle of implementing ECMs, determining the savings against an agreed baseline, ring fencing those savings and reinvesting them into additional measures is the core innovative principle of the SPEEDIER Service that can be applied to both SMEs and large enterprises.
The project team has 10 partner organisations with pilots taking place in Ireland, Romania, Spain and Italy.
Objectives and Aims of the Project
- To facilitate the uptake of energy audits and implementation of the resulting energy conservation measures in SMEs in each of the 4 pilot regions by offering a programme of outsourced energy management.
- To demonstrate the effectiveness of the self-financing mechanism as a means of driving investment in energy conservation measures among SMEs and large enterprises.
- To enhance the energy culture of SMEs through a series of engagement awareness and capacity building activities leading to SMEs that are fully aware of the multiple benefits of energy auditing.
- To demonstrate the SPEEDIER Service as an innovative & effective tool that can be used by member states to enhance the delivery of Article 8 of the EED in SMEs and large enterprises.
- To increase the skills of the key market stakeholders that will enable the long-term delivery of the SPEEDIER service beyond the end of the project.
- 110 companies participating
- Total Energy savings - 655,000 MWh/year
- Total CO2 savings – 1,265 Tonnes/year
Latest SPEEDIER news
Latest news on the SPEEDIER project from LIT can be seen below.