Geraldine Maughan is the Principal Investigator for all research projects under ASCEND’s research group which is part of a wider research centre entitled Social Science Connexions here at LIT. ASCEND (Applied Social Care Education and practice in New Directions) is a recent development here at LIT. Officially launched by John Lonergan in October 2017.
The purpose of this group is primarily to look at research areas important to individuals accessing social care services and involve them in data generation. This approach is advocated by the National Children’s bureau (UK and NI). ASCEND’s research activities are motivated by a rights based approach to research. ASCEND is also committed to exploring non-threatening creative research methods.
Currently, two students have achieved the award of M.A with three other students working towards the award of M.A. A further three potential M.A students have applied to carry out research in the areas of dual diagnosis within homeless services, respite care and alternative models to the medical models to treat emotional eating.
ASCEND is represented on a research panel for the Ombudsman for Children’s Office, a SIG examining the ethics of young peoples’ participation in research and the Limerick Citywide Child and Youth Forum.
Present at a minimum of two conferences annually, one of which is usually internationally based. Encourage postgraduate students to present at conferences and to publish their work. Collaborations ongoing with Derby University, UK; Drexel University, Philadelphia, USA; Saint Leo’s College, Tampa, Florida, USA.
Research & Publications
- Commonalities Between Personal Development Modules and Social Care Practice in Ilreand- Journal of Teaching and Education (JTE), (2016) Vol5, No 2-ISSN: 2156-6266 -2015
- An Exploration of the Value of Marte Meo Therapy in Establishing, Re-establishing and Supporting Attachment Relationships – The Children’s Research Digest – 2017
- Social Care Work learner’s attitudes to Mental Health- Journal of Conduct Disorders. Collaboration with Yashiro Kotera from Derby University, UK - 2020
- Mental Health Ireland, Dublin-Mindfulness practice and present – January 5th 2020
- Personal Development Workshop at School of Education, TCD
- QUB – All Ireland Doctoral Arts and Humanities Conference – June 11th & 12th, 2020
- TCD-PG Conference – Finding from my PhD- May 23rd, 2020