Each year LIT receives funding to allow staff to travel under the following categories:
The funding allocated to LIT by the Higher Education Authority is based on various criteria including the number of proposed visits and the destinations and durations of such visits.
How the funding is awarded
All applications are reviewed by the International Office. The funding LIT receives each year is limited so funding will only be available for a certain number of visits. Priority is given to teachers/staff applying for the first time. Successful applicants will be contacted by the International Office.
Teaching assignments enables staff to spend a teaching period at a higher education institution in another participating country. A minimum duration of 2 working days is the requirement to provide a meaningful contribution to the teaching programme and international academic life at the host institution. Shorter periods should be exceptional.
There is an obligation to deliver at least eight hours of teaching.
The objectives of this staff mobility for teaching are:
- To encourage higher education institutions to broaden and enrich the range and content of courses they offer
- To allow students who do not have the possibility to participate in a mobility scheme, to benefit from the knowledge and expertise of academic staff from higher education institutions and from invited staff of enterprises in other European countries
- To promote exchange of expertise and experience on pedagogical methods
- To create links between higher education institutions and with enterprises
- To motivate students and staff to become mobile and to assist them in preparing a mobility period.
The teaching assignments may be carried out by teaching staff of higher education institutions and by invited staff of enterprises. In all cases, the activities of staff undertaking a teaching assignment should be integrated into the curricula of the host institution.
The partner higher education institutions/enterprise must have agreed on the programme of the activities to be undertaken by the visiting teachers (teaching programme) prior to the start of the mobility period. When the person carrying out the assignment is from a higher education institution, the assignment must be based on an inter-institutional agreement between the home and host institution.
In the case of staff mobility from an enterprise to a higher education institution, the mobility is arranged by an invitation of the higher education institution to the staff member of the enterprise. The grant is always managed by the higher education institution.
Staff members with special needs may apply for a specific grant after they had been selected for a mobility period.