Skip to main content

Health Insurance & Travel

All students going abroad are advised to have comprehensive health and travel insurance policies.

European Health Insurance Card

Students will need the European Health Insurance Card which is obtainable from the relevant local health board. The EHIC entitles holders to full medical treatment in any European Union country, for any condition, whether or not it is of an emergency nature.

When applying for the EHIC you will need to present a letter from the International Education Office confirming your placement (this will be sent to your home address). You will also be required to provide your PPS number.

Full information on the EHIC is available on the European Health Insurance Card website:

Private Health Insurance

It is recommended that you take out some form of private health insurance policy to cover you while you are studying abroad. You should not rely on the cover provided by the EHIC as this may be quite limited.

Public healthcare systems vary from country to country, and few countries pay the full cost of healthcare for holders of the EHIC.


Please be aware that video and photography content on this website was produced prior to COVID-19