Status: Register Interest
Art & Design
Flexible & Professional
This programme has been created for those interested in learning how to use a domestic sewing machine and those who would like to build on their existing knowledge. While on the course you will develop an understanding of the sewing and construction of a skirt. Through demonstrations, practical exercises and one-to-one support.
You will also learn a range of sewing techniques such as seams top stitch, hand stitching and the insertion of lapped zip, invisible zip and professionally finishing on a garment.
On completion of the course students will be able to:
- Confidently use a domestic sewing machine
- Apply basic sewing skills
- Develop an understanding of basic blocks and relevant information
- Select appropriate materials and trims
- Cut commercial patterns
- Construct a skirt pattern using an appropriate finish
- Understand the terminology used within the fashion industry
What modules will I study?
This course will introduce students to:
- Setting up and sewing, using a domestic sewing machine
- Working with blocks to create basic skirt toiles
- Support with selecting the appropriate materials
- Laying and cutting fabric using a commercial pattern
- Reading and Sewing a commercial pattern (skirt pattern)
TBC for 2022. 10 weeks, 2 hours per week.
Monday evenings from 7.00pm to 9.00pm.
The next proposed start date is January 2022.
Continuous evaluation will take place with final evaluation on completion of programme
A Certificate of Completion will be issued to eligible participants
TBC for 2022
For queries relating to the course content
Contact: Alan Kelly